Why blog?

I decided to create this blog so that I could update you and share my experiences each day. I will try my best to post at least once each day. Please comment on my posts, because I would love to hear from you! Thank you so very much for all your love and support <3


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 2 - July 6th [Peralta!]

Today was crazy! Because the Pastor is doing construction on his house, I need to stay in Wendy's house (a member of the church) for three days while they finish. They are adding two more bedrooms onto the house, which is almost doubling the space they have. Big changes for the family! I woke up and felt like I had slept the entire morning through.. when I came out of my room it was only 7:15! Wendy made me delicious coffee (I normally don't even drink coffee) and then I watched and learned as she and Sarai made lunch. The meal consisted of pasta, meat, and tostones, all of which I learned how to make! After they let me try some, and I then went over to the pastors house. The entire day I played with the pastors two youngest kids, Zedekias and Franchellis, which was so much fun because they are adorable! The water at Wendy's house went out, so I could not shower, but they got water for me to wash my hair in which was kind of hilarious. After dinner, I went with some of the younger members of the church to an open area on the street, where they set up all their music equipment with amps and microphones, and had a small worship service in a random part of Peralta to share the gospel with nonbelievers in the community. It was really cool to see how bold they are about sharing their faith with others and loving the people around them that they don't know. Afterwards, I played a board game with Daniella and Franchesca (the pastor's oldest daughter and best friend) while we ate dinner together. Zedekias brought me over to the basketball courts where a volleyball league was going on. We watched a game together, and the girls playing are actually extremely good.. it was fun to watch. So far, all the people are being extremely loving and welcoming, and very patient when speaking to me. I am struggling to communicate right now, but there are certain people I find it's much easier with. I do however, realize that I am already starting to think things a bit in Spanish; I even typed on here in Spanish accidentally a few times, and then had to erase and change to English! Hopefully I'll be much better at it by the end of the trip!

            Prayer Requests:
  * That I would not be shy and reserved with speaking to people here
  * That I would learn to be consistent throughout the day in my communication with God
My room in Wendy's house!

4 comments:

  1. Kara I am confident that God will use you in mighty ways as you minister in Dominican. I will be praying for you. I am excited to be able to follow your Dominican adventure on the blog. Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back. Love Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara! So happy you have a blog that you could share with us! Love that I know the people who you talk about. Send them my love. Praying for you!
    - Jerrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures and you room at Wendy's! We are so proud of you and know that you will make a difference in the lives of the people of Peralta! Love you and miss you!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara,

    We are having some trouble with out posts. Yesterday bot h Dad and Uncle Dick sent you a message under my name but they don't appear. We will keep trying. Love you!

    ReplyDelete